Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thumbs up for the new Hawaii Five-O (The Blackshear Times)

Thumbs up to the new Hawaii Five-O.

Most weeknights I am out watching one of your governments. Lately, however, I’ve had a little more freedom to watch prime-time television.

This year, I haven’t missed an episode of the new, re-tooled version of “Hawaii Five-O”.

The season finale aired just a couple of weeks ago and it was a barn burner.


It’s silly, but the writer in me, thinks about plot twists while I am watching. I will be interested to see how some of the twists and turns in the finale are resolved in the fall.

Overall, it’s been a fun season for the series.

I was young when the original series ended, but thanks to re-runs and DVD box sets I still get to watch Jack Lord’s Steve McGarrett and his Hawaii Five-0 team bust the bad guys. At the end, he would turn to his second in command, the always-loyal Danny Williams and utter those famous words.

“Book ‘em Danno.”

Actor James MacArthur, who played “Danno”, died in Jacksonville last October at the age of 72. At the time of his death, he was reportedly planning to make a cameo appearance on the new series.

All the originals are gone now: Lord, Gilbert Lani “Zulu” Kauhi, Kam Fong and now MacArthur.

The good news is that we still have “Five-0,” albeit a fresher, hipper version.

Yes, I admit I was slow to come around.

If you will remember, last year when CBS announced the new series, I said I would withhold judgement until I saw the real thing.

I got lots of comments on my column last year, many of them courtesy of the world-wide web. Several were ungenerous, lambasted me for praising the old series, said I didn’t have any sense and concluded I am an old fogey.

I’m guilty on all counts.

I’m still a fan of Jack Lord and nothing can fix the old fogey part and that other stuff.

While I still don’t know exactly what to think about O’Loughlin’s tattooed, combat boot wearing, unorthodox, push-the-envelope Steve McGarrett, you have to admit he is one cool, intense dude. And he’s a former Navy SEAL, which turned out to be a pretty smooth move considering recent events. Those guys deserve any tip of the hat they receive.

O’Loughlin brings his own take to the character. I like the give and take he and the new “Danno”, Scott Caan, have. “Danno” is by the book, while Steve has a “bend the rules” style. The friction brings lots of banter between the two.

Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park round out the group making for a nice ensemble cast.

The series is still introduced by the same catchy theme song.

Jean Smart, of Designing Women fame, played a smart, shrewd Governor Jameson in the first year. I hate what happened to her in the finale, but there was that dastardly Wo Fat again. My grandma was an excellent judge of character. She would have looked him over and observed: “He just looks mean.”

I am looking forward to the next season come this fall.

Monday nights. CBS. Aloha. Be there.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment